Wednesday, 6 July 2011

California Here We Come

After Vegas I drove us to Orange County. I was much more confident behind the wheel after eight hours driving experience the previous day. Although there was still a dangerous incident while leaving Las Vegas. Not seeing the first set of lights, I had slowed down to stop the car at a light that had just turned red. I had run a yellow that I hadn't seen. This would have been all right if I had kept going, but I stopped. In the middle of an intersection. Luckily, the car behind me had seen the problem and left enough space for me to reverse back into an almost legal position. I reversed and sat there calmly waiting for the light to change, when a car pulled up beside us. He called through the window "Hey buddy, you know you're still in reverse?" Other than that near calamity, the trip to O.C. was without incident.

My notes end around here so the rest of the OC trip will be summarised. We didn't do anything particularly exciting over our 4 days here, we went to Laguna Beach, watched some films, watched more World Cup action, met Ed's family friends, had some theological discussions from our host who has, over a lifetime, gone from atheism to Hinduism to Christianity. I was too scared to drive into LA, so Ed left by shuttle for LAX and flew back to England.

Of course, before he left we had to visit Disneyland. A tiring day indeed. At the end of the day we went through a tunnel filled with dolls with the song "it's a small world after all" playing. I found it horrifying. The song was supposed to be about inclusiveness, we are all in this world together. But most of the puppets were white, and the few black ones were semi naked dolls living amongst the doll lions. The Asian ones were just the white dolls in Asian dress. But to it's credit, there is a large number of good looking women roaming around the lands of Disney, something for everyone.