Friday, 11 March 2011

Crossing the Border

4AM wake up to catch the early bus. Check out. Walk with our heavy bags to the greyhound station. Get told that the our bus is an hour late. It is also full. Back to hostel.

They won't let us back in our rooms because we have already checked out. So we go down and sleep in the common room. We get back and get the 1:30PM Americana bus. The Americana bus is a subset of the greyhound company, and I believe it starts its route in Mexico. Spanish is the first language on the Americana bus, occasionally they follow with an English translation. Ed and I were probably the only ones the English translation was relevant for.

A little while after crossing the state border of Texas and New Mexico the bus was stopped by police. They came on and gave instructions at the front of the bus. I couldn't hear a word they were saying. I tried calling "what did you say?" to them. They ignored me. The other passengers looked at me as if I were insane. In the end it was just a passports and papers check. Everyone on the bus had their papers in order so we were allowed to continue.

All I really remember after that from the journey was that there was a very pretty woman working in the McDonald's where we had lunch. The rest of the journey was just staring at desert.

After arriving in Phoenix we took a shuttle van for another two and half hours out to Prescott. A suburb about two and a half hours away from Phoenix. While I had gotten used to hearing too much about other passengers lives, I wasn't prepared to learn everything about our driver. Her troubled relationship with her father, the pains of menopause, why she had a smokers voice (anyone could have guessed why, she smoked). Another case of unintentional eaves dropping making the journey a little more uncomfortable than it already was.

We arrived in Prescott around 10PM. We were fed dinner. Then it was straight to Fox and then bed.