Saturday, 12 February 2011

Sweet Water and Gringo Food

For dinner Ed and I went out with two lovely girls from Atlanta who were family friends of our (absentee) hosts. It was apparently Ed's first experience of Mexican food. Or more accurately, mexican inspired food for non-mexicans. We also tried the local beer, Sweet Water, that one of the women recommended. On seeing Ed's expression after trying the beer I could tell it wasn't brilliant. But I wanted to try the local stuff as well so I asked for "one more Sweet Water please",. It was pretty poor, though I believe I've had worse.

Then it was back home to Fox News and light beer for the fridge. The food had been good, the results after dinner on a digestive system not accustomed to the food were not good. Also, I should really have learned by now not to drink beer while feeling full, the results are uncomfortable every time.

Brief sleep. Then it was up at 3.30am to make sure we were packed and ready for our 4.15am taxi to the greyhound bus station. That took our total taxi expenditure to over $110 so far.

And we were sick of the greyhound bus. As I may have already mentioned. It was often brought up but despite a desperate search for alternatives we found no other affordable routes across the country. So it was off to wait an hour in a queue, get asked if I was at Prince Charles' wedding and get a bus to New Orleans.