Monday, 15 November 2010

Pilot Mountain

Family reunion on Pilot Mountain. Plus Ed. We had a lovely picnic on the mountain, a place with a great view of the surrounding scenery. Met many relatives I hadn't seen in years, or didn't really know that I had. Everyone was very friendly, and the relative who's birthday we were celebrating was delighted with the Euros I gave her. Accidentally. My mum had spent a lot of effort finding a great gift, and I had been tasked with carrying it in bag. In the same place as the present there were also a few loose coins floating about, and about 3 cents worth of European money found its way into the gift bag.

There was also torrential rain on the mountain side. The first rain we had seen since arriving in the country. I don't remember exactly but it may have even been the last time we saw rain in the States. Luckily we were beneath a roof. Even with the rain, the place was still very hot, hikers even went by with their shirts off.

Then we went to a golf club to watch England play the USA in the World Cup. I'm sure every English football fan remembers that unfortunate attempt at a save. A horrific moment made all the more brutal by being exposed to a certain American commentator. An idiot who declared with conviction that "Dempsey's shot was a great shot because it was on target". You could argue that it was a great goal with its greatness resulting from entertainment value. However, it definitely wasn't a great shot, or a good shot, in fact it resembled a pass more than a shot.

After watching fellow countrymen fail to win a game in a sport they had invented against a country that had only had a real league since 1994, it was our turn under perform. I hadn't played basketball for several years and even when I did play it was only intermittently. I had never seen Ed exert himself beyond going for a long walk, usually to get to a cinema. However, it was still an embarrassingly bad performance that saw us lose a game to my...I guess I'll call him uncle to save working out 3rd cousins/removed stuff I don't understand, and his young daughter. Who we kept running into accidentally and knocking to the floor. Luckily I will always have the fall-back excuse I'm not tall enough for basketball.